When it comes to content marketing on social media, you’ve got seconds to make your mark. From your chosen colours to your chosen words, your brand’s persona wields influence over how you’re perceived. That’s why nailing brand consistency is the secret sauce for grabbing (and keeping) your audience’s attention. Here are five steps you can take right now to create brand consistency across your social media channels.
1. Update Your Profile Photo and Banner Image
First impressions matter. With social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn, your profile photo and banner image are often the first thing visitors see. Here’s how to make sure these align with your brand:
- Use Your Logo: Feature your logo or a recognizable element of your brand in your profile picture to increase brand recognition.
- Have Matching Colours: Ensure that the colours in your profile photo and banner images match or are closely aligned with your established brand colours.
2. Update Your Brand Fonts
One of the simplest yet effective ways to maintain brand consistency on social media is by using your brand fonts. These fonts should be used in your posts, stories, and graphics. Here’s how:
- Typography in Post Graphics: When creating graphics for your social media posts, use your brand font for copy. This reinforces your brand identity and makes your content recognizable. With many businesses switching between fonts on social media, maintaining the same font will make your brand stand out.
- Typography in Stories: If you plan to use Instagram or Facebook’s default fonts for your Stories, choose one that closely aligns with your brand’s typography and stick with it. Consistency in fonts across all content contributes to a cohesive look and feel. Here are our favourite Instagram Fonts to use:
3. Stick To Your Brand Colours
Incorporate your brand colours into your content marketing visuals. Whether it’s in the background of a graphic, in your text, or graphic elements, using consistent colours reinforces your brand’s identity.
- For Feed Posts: Incorporate your brand colours into your wall post graphics. This creates instant brand recognition when scrolling through a noisy feed and conveys a sense of professionalism.
- For Stories: The colours provided in Stories are limited. Add your established brand colour palette to create your backgrounds or colour your text. Here’s how to do this:
4. Use High Quality Images
Blurry or low-resolution visuals can harm your brand’s perception and create brand dissonance across your content marketing channels. Invest in good-quality visuals that represent your brand’s professionalism. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Have Clean Backgrounds: Choose clean and uncluttered backgrounds that don’t distract from what you’re photographing. A plain wall, a simple backdrop, or a neatly arranged surface work best.
- Avoid Using Zoom: Instead of using digital zoom, move physically closer to what you’re shooting. Zooming in too much can result in pixelation and reduced image quality.
- Be Mindful Of Resolution: Ensure your images meet the platform’s recommended resolution and aspect ratios. This prevents your images from being compressed or losing quality when uploaded. Here’s what each popular social media platform recommends:
- Instagram Posts: 1080px by 1350px with a 4:5 Aspect Ratio
- Facebook Posts: 1080px by 1350px with a 4:5 Aspect Ratio
- Stories: 1920px by 1080px with a 9:16 Aspect Ratio
- LinkedIn Posts: 1080px by 1350px with a 4:1 Aspect Ratio
- LinkedIn Articles: 1200px by 644px with a 1.91:1 Aspect Ratio
Beyond visuals, maintaining a consistent tone of voice in your content marketing is essential. Whether your brand is casual, professional, or a mixture of both, make sure your post copy reflects this. Upholding your brand’s distinct voice will help in building a unique online personality that your audience can relate to. Here are some tips to help you maintain a consistent tone of voice on social media:
- Brand Personality: Your brand voice is just as important as your brand visuals. If you don’t have an established brand voice in place, get clear on what your brand personality is before you start writing. Is your brand playful, professional, humorous, or informative? Use this as guide to inform your tone in copy.
- Use Consistent Language: Choose specific words and phrases that align with your brand’s personality and stick to them. Not sure where to start? Working with a copywriter is a great way to develop a voice style guide for your brand voice and tone.
- Stay Authentic: Your tone of voice should align with your brand’s values and context. Don’t try to mimic a tone that doesn’t naturally fit your brand. Depending on what social media platform you’re using, your tone should adapt to the audience you’re writing to. For example, Instagram tends to be more casual than LinkedIn. At the end of the day, social media is all about connection and authenticity, so remember to add a human touch to your content.
Need help creating a consistent brand when content marketing on social media?
We know managing your business’s social media can be overwhelming and time-consuming. If you’re unclear on how to execute these five tips for creating brand consistency, our Nanaimo-based content marketing agency can transform your social media game. From social media management to graphic design, and copywriting, we’ll do the heavy lifting so you focus on what you do best.
Ready to get started? Contact us today and take the first step toward enhancing your brand’s presence across your content marketing.